There is nothing sophisticated about the tiny Warleggan church of St Bartholomew. It stands in a small churchtown in a remote part of Bodmin moor and, if the road sign is to be believed, is twinned with Narnia.
Its literary connections continue for the greatest villain of the Poldark books carries the name of the village. Daphne du Maurier also wrote of the eccentric (how unusual) vicar who left a note in the service book ‘No fog, no wind, no rain, no drizzle, no congregation‘. Being the moor, such weather conditions must have been unusual.
The C14 font is plain and the roofs plain. They were re-built after the former steeple collapsed in 1818.
Some shallow carvings on the abaci of the pillars provides some light decoration.
Outside, a fine wheel-headed cross stands alongside the south porch.