Twyardreath was obviously an important place before the Reformation with a small Benedictine community in the village and connections in many surrounding parishes. Nothing remains of their building.
St Andrews, which was the parish church was wholly re-built in 1880-7 but to the original ground plan and therefore can be included in our collection. It is well placed in the heart of the village. Unusually, it is only Grade II*.
It sounds unkind to say that there is little memorable about the interior of the church for it has a fine single wagon roof, carefully restored; the standard layout of nave, south aisle and north transept; and is light, but the pitch pine pews and sense of order seem to suck the heart out of the space. It is competent rather than full of soul.
We were advised to look out for the altar slab which had been thoughtfully covered up. Instead, we enjoyed:
- The C15 font
- The pulpit constructed of C15 and C16 bench ends
- The monument to Robert Harris with its merry couplet