St Germanus, named for the fighting bishop of Auxerre, stands proud on the cliff top close to Rame Head. Its unusual broached spire must be visible for many miles out to sea.
The tower is early and the spire probably C14, giving it a superficial resemblance to Cubert church, many miles away.
Built of slate, it is a lovely church, simple and homely. It consists of a nave, south aisle and north transept and the walls are unplastered.
There is no electricity inside and so the church has to be lit by candelight, resulting in a positive forest of tall candlesticks.
It has been restored twice in the C19: in 1845 and 1184-5. The south aisle has retained its wagon roof through these changes but the nave one has been replaced.
There is a range of interesting memorials. Some headstones have been re-used as flooring stones and there is a rather grand C17 memorial to a former vicar.
Outside in the churchyard, a memorial to local man Barclay Walton is said to have been written by Rudyard Kipling: ‘This was a man who did not seek his ends in trivial honours, but, content to be himself in all things, never failed his friends and least of all his lifelong friend, the sea.’
There are a few surviving bench-ends which are described as being ‘rather Devon’ in appearance, lacking the usual (Cornish) emblems of the Passion.
At the east end of the aisle are four enormous slabs in excellent condition with the Commandments, Creed and Lord’s Prayer carved on them. These were found in April 2015, face down in in the SE corner of the church. It is speculated that they were originally erected in the early C17, by command of Elizabeth but removed during the Puritan period.