St Nevet church stands proudly in the middle of its village, flanked by two large wheel-headed crosses in an area rich in others. The tower is tall by Cornish standards, as befits a C15/C16 church in a thriving village.
The church suffered what looks to have been a pretty tough restoration by J P St Aubyn in 1864 and has lost some of its spirit as a result. It is functionally efficient, however.
The nave roof runs right through into the chancel without a screen which is cheerfully Cornish and there are conventional pitch pine pews and modern light fittings.
The chancel reflects its time with a few bits of gilding and Victorian lavatorial floor tiles.
There are four special delights:
- A C5/C6 Roman pillar stone dedicated to Annicus son of … which stands at the south west end (tucked away behind dull modern chairs)
The piscina which is probably a re-purposed C12 capital, possibly from neighbouring Bodmin priory
- The C14 octagonal font
- A fine slate memorial to John and Richard Courtney d1632
Outside, in the churchyard, is a series of crosses and stones. The most obvious is a 3.2m cross with knot decorations which seems to shelter under a tall yew tree at the west end.
Another other large cross is to the north of the church. Also 3m high this is covered with some wonderful panels and carvings.
A note in the neighbouring pub says that this cross marks the centre of Cornwall but no amount of playing with maps can prove this. Carland Cross has greater claim to being the centre from end to end and across the middle of the peninsular.
There is also the remains of a hogback tombstone of uncertain date.