Charles Henderson must have been having an uncharacteristic off-day when he described St Feoca as being ‘one of the least interesting in the diocese’. It is hard to argue with his other line that the church ‘was too thoroughly restored in 1874’ for J P St Aubyn ‘practically rebuilt’ the church.
The church sits in a dell in the small but straggling village of Feock with its thatched cottages. The most striking feature is the C13 detached tower with its little pyramidal roof. Before the trees grew up, this was visible from Carrick Roads and would have been a navigation mark.
The roof is signature St Aubyn: arch-braced in place of the traditional wagon roof. He inserted two skylights which add light to the ‘crossing’.
The chancel ceiling is worthy of Pugin and St Aubyn allowed himself the inclusion of St Piran’s cross in the random decoration. So he almost had a sense of wit.
An unusual walk-through squint disguises the door to a small south vestry.
There are more delights outside. In the porch is a set of stocks with space for seven legs. The suggestion is that one was for people with wooden legs. It is curious that Veryan also has one with an odd number of legs.
Also look for:
- The late C12 – early C13 cross with a figure of the crucified Christ – down to the knees – one one side and a foliated cross on the other
- The wonderful yew tree which is not mentioned anywhere but must be very old
- The elegant cremation garden which manages the addition of names to shared monuments rather more effectively than littering the churchyard with small paviours
- The early C19 lychgate with a ‘vestry’ room above