The quoit itself is in a perfect state of preservation but for its covering mound whose outline can still be seen. The massive capstone is about 3m (12ft) across and the whole things stands about 2m high.
One of the wonders of many of our ancient monuments is that they survive at all in areas which were much re-used by later generations. What did the Iron Age occupants of Chun Castle make of the quoit from around 1500 years earlier? Why did they, and later miners, not damage or move it. This effect most marked at the Nine maidens stone circle which is close to, and seemingly in amongst, the spoil heaps of the Ding Dong mine.